Cedillo Pays Tribute to Italian Heritage in CD1 With Unveiling of Eastside Market Square
May 10, 2017
Cedillo Pays Tribute to Italian Heritage in CD1
With Unveiling of Eastside Market Square
Los Angeles—Councilmember Cedillo will unveil the ‘Eastside Market Square’ to commemorate the Italian heritage of CD1. In the early 1920’s, there were four Italian Markets within a two block area of Alpine Street in Los Angeles. These markets serviced a predominately Italian immigrant community which adopted the “Victor Heights” area as an Italian enclave. The Eastside Market is the last remaining original Italian market in the area. While the community has changed, the iconic location at Alpine Street and Figueroa Terrace remains unchanged. It is fully appropriate and proper to designate the intersection of Alpine Street and Figueroa Terrace as “Eastside Market Square.”
Originally opening in 1929, the Eastside Market was a grocery and meat market. As community demand shifted during the 1930’s and 1940’s, the Eastside Market joined forces with Pontrelli and Laricchia Sausage Company and together they capitalized on the demand for wholesale and retail foods.
In 1959, Johnny Angiuli began to work for the Eastside Market. By 1965, Eastside Market was the last standing of the original four Italian markets. In 1974, Johnny Angiuli and his brother Frank Angiuli became owners of the Eastside Market which evolved into a counter sandwich service. On January 1, 2017, after 57 years of service at Eastside Market, Johnny Angiuli welcomed his sons Anthony, Rocky, and Vito to undertake daily business operations and ensuring that the Angiuli family legacy lives on for generations to come.
“We are delighted to pay tribute to the Italian heritage in Council District 1 with the establishment of the Eastside Market Square,” stated Councilmember Cedillo. “It is important to honor the cultural identity of those communities that have shaped CD1 as we know it today. Eastside Market is an important part of our community and we love telling its story. We will now have an official City designation, marking its place in history as the last remaining Italian market on the block,” added Cedillo.
Councilmember Gil Cedillo currently represents the 1st Council District, which includes all or parts of the neighborhoods of Glassell Park, Cypress Park, Highland Park, Mt. Washington, Solano Canyon, Sycamore Grove, Elysian Park, Echo Park, Westlake, Angelino Heights, Temple Beaudry, Lafayette Park, Chinatown, Forgotten Edge, Lincoln Heights, Montecito Heights, Pico Union, Adams-Normandie, University Park, Mid Cities and Mac Arthur Park.